Remote … everything.
Record early heat wave in Arizona.
If it’s starting to seem like 2020 is going to be a banner year for chaos, change and stress, fear not. We have gathered a list of resources to help you navigate everything the world is tossing your way. These resources won’t keep the Jumanji murder hornets away, but they should help make your educational path easier during this trying time.
Need help adjusting to remote learning?
- For info on internet services and access, look here: https://www.maricopa.edu/coronavirus-covid-19/community-student-resources/internet-services-access
- For resources related to hotspots, free wifi and cell phone tethering now that classes are all online, look here: http://connection.cgc.edu/2020/04/get-connected-hotspots-public-wifi-cell.html
- Looking for tips on adjusting to online classes, find those here: https://www.maricopa.edu/coronavirus-covid-19/community-student-resources/online-success
- Last but not least, our very own CGCC Computer Lab has a new Virtual Help Desk with call-in, video chat, and Discord options for contacting them. Get the details at cgc.edu/computerlab
Need to contact an academic advisor?
- If you’ve already met with an academic advisor at CGCC, you may be familiar with Advisor Notes. This is a way to communicate about course planning requests, ask quick questions, or review suggestions from prior visits. Learn more at my.maricopa.edu/help/student-center/advising-notes
- If you have more than a quick question for an advisor, give them a call or email them! During normal business hours, call 480.732.7317 or email Advisement@cgc.edu.
- Don’t like talking on the phone? Check out this page http://connection.cgc.edu/2020/03/virtual-enrollment-team.html for keywords to text to our new Virtual Enrollment Services Team at 480.351.2221.
Need help with financial aid?
- The best way to reach our CGCC Financial Aid office is via email, firstname.lastname@example.org
- No internet? No problem - you can also call to leave them a voicemail at 1.855.622.2332 and they’ll call you back.
- You can also use the Virtual Enrollment Services Team number at 480.351.2221 to text them for help.
Need help with financial resources?
- There are emergency scholarships available for students in financial distress due to the pandemic, with application form here: mcccdf.academicworks.com/opportunities/13331
- For residents of the East Valley, we have a list of community resources ranging from basic needs to medical assistance located here: connection.cgc.edu/2020/04/covid-19-east-valley-community-resources.html
- Our MCCCD website has additional resources to help students and your families across the county here: https://www.maricopa.edu/community-business/basic-needs
Need help finding a job?
- Visit the CGCC Career Services website (cgc.edu/careers) and check out their tabs under Off-Campus Jobs and Maricopa Career Link.
- Contact Career Services via email at email@example.com for help with resumes and cover letters
- For immediate employment needs, check out the Arizona@Work website for openings at arizonaatwork.com/newsroom/all/arizona-employers-immediate-openings
- Remember if you are interested in Federal Work Study jobs on campus for next year that you need to both complete a 2020-21 FAFSA (fafsa.gov) and apply through Career Services at cgc.edu/fws
- All CGCC students now have access to TutorMatch, a new option within the cool BrainFuse online tutoring platform. TutorMatch allows you to connect with the same awesome CGCC tutors that you used to work with in the Learning Center and Writing Center, now in a virtual format. Here’s a description of how it works: connection.cgc.edu/2020/03/schedule-virtual-tutoring-support.html
- Once you’re familiar with how it works, bookmark BrainFuse for easy access: cgc.edu/brainfuse
Need to know what to do with your textbooks?
- The CGCC Bookstore has helpful information about textbook rental returns, and how to get books for summer classes on their website at www.bkstr.com/chandler-gilbertccstore/store-hours
- You can also contact our bookstore with questions directly at firstname.lastname@example.org or 480.732.7352
- Students who would normally use the CGCC Library’s Course Reserves to access their required textbooks can go to https://studentresponse.redshelf.com/ for access to up to 7 free ebook textbooks
Need help with health, housing or food security?
- Maricopa Community Colleges has links to a variety or resources to help you find housing, food sources, transportation and child care https://www.maricopa.edu/community-business/basic-needs
- Are you a veteran and need help? https://www.maricopa.edu/community-business/basic-needs/veterans-military
- United Food Bank is open and can assist with food needs https://unitedfoodbank.org/get-help/help-yourself-purchase-cooperative/
- Chandler CARE center is also available to assist with food needs http://www.azfoodbanks.org/index.php/foodbank/article/chandler_care_center as is AZCend https://azcend.org/food-bank/
- Wondering what the CDC guidelines are to stay healthy? https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/index.html
Need help paying the bills?
- The state of Arizona has a “one stop shop” for many financial assistance needs: https://211arizona.org/
- APS is offering assistance paying bills during the crisis: https://www.aps.com/en/Residential/Account/Assistance-Programs
- SRP is also offering assistance: https://www.srpnet.com/about/customer-assistance.aspx
- Phoenix city services, including water, available online: https://www.phoenix.gov/newsroom/em-and-hs/1054
- How is the city of Chandler operating and keeping you safe during the pandemic? https://www.chandleraz.gov/government/city-managers-office/coronavirus-disease-2019-covid-19
- If you live in Gilbert, how is the city operating and what services are available: https://www.gilbertaz.gov/community/residents/covid-19-information
Need help getting around town?
- Valley Metro buses and trains are running reduced schedules because of the ongoing safer-at-home orders. To see the updated schedule: https://www.valleymetro.org/
Need more help?
- CGCC Counseling website has a variety of on-campus & off-campus resources, cgc.edu/counseling
- Currently enrolled students can also call to consult with Counseling faculty to discuss concerns, get assistance with referrals, or problem-solve issues related to school by calling 480.732.7158 during normal business hours. Students can also schedule appointments online.
- Check out the COVID19 Quick Guide created by the CGCC Counseling faculty: https://sites.google.com/cgc.edu/counselingquick-guide/home
- The CDC has tips to help you cope with the uncertainty that abounds now https://emergency.cdc.gov/coping/selfcare.asp
- Have another question? Check out MCCCD’s FAQ page: https://www.maricopa.edu/coronavirus-covid-19/faq
- The FindHelpPhoenix site provides information on a wide variety of issues, many free, https://findhelpphx.org/
Need a break or a way to find some peace?
- There are free apps to use to help you achieve a level of mindfulness during the storm https://www.mindful.org/free-mindfulness-apps-worthy-of-your-attention/
- The Mayo Clinic offers these pointers for relaxation and calm: https://www.mayoclinic.org/healthy-lifestyle/stress-management/in-depth/relaxation-technique/art-20045368
- Researchers say these three practices can help calm anxiety: https://psychcentral.com/blog/3-practices-to-calm-an-anxious-mind/
- Take a walk. It’s free and healthy as long as you practice social distancing. https://www.helpguide.org/articles/healthy-living/the-mental-health-benefits-of-exercise.htm