Tuesday, September 20, 2016

"Dodging Bullets" Solo Show Coming to CGCC Performing Arts Center

Chandler-Gilbert Community College (CGCC) Performing Arts Department is excited to host “Dodging Bullets,” the acclaimed solo show featuring Arizona State University Professor David Barker on Friday, October 7 at 7pm at the Pecos Campus.

Born from a very real, tragic and life-altering experience, David Barker’s latest work is as personal as it is extraordinary.  It is personal in that this solo performer plays ten different roles, including his own mother, in order to immerse the audience in the moment when his brother-in-law tried to kill Barker and his sister.  The quality of Barker’s performance and the fact that everything actually happened to him, an average middle-aged guy who at the exact time of the incident was searching for a meaningful experience in life, makes the show extraordinary.

“We are thrilled to welcome Professor Barker to CGCC and look forward to his performance,” said Randy Wright, Performing Arts Director at CGCC. “Barker’s performance is powerful, entertaining and very real. His ability to transform into10 different characters is astonishing, and we encourage the community to take advantage of this opportunity to see him live.”

On the fateful day of the attack, Barker accompanied his sister and 15-year-old niece on a stop at his recently-divorced sister’s home to pick up asthma medication for his niece. “I went along to protect my sister,” Barker said. “We approached the house and Dr. Jack, my sister’s ex, appeared at the front door and ordered me to leave. Dr. Jack is a high-strung control freak, so when I refused to leave he attacked me.  We grappled briefly and he ran back into the house. My sister, niece and I were in complete shock. He came back with a gun and began to fire.”

This true story plays out with cinematic twists and turns including SWAT teams and arrests as well as the more intimate and revealing story lines of Barker’s parents’ declining health and the trauma he suffered as a result of the Dr. Jack incident.  At the end of this thrilling 65-minute journey, the audience dynamic with Barker is transformed; he is no longer just an actor on stage, but a person with whom you just shared a unique experience. 

A Q&A session about the experience will take place immediately following Barker’s performance. Leslie Marna, Director of My Sister's Place in Chandler, a non-profit formed to serve victims of domestic violence, will lead the discussion in an effort to increase awareness of the organization’s mission.

Admission is free!  Do not miss out on your chance to see Dodging Bullets. The event will be held inside the Arnette Scott Ward Performing Arts Center located at 2626 E. Pecos Road, Chandler, AZ 85225.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.