Fifteen students from Chandler-Gilbert Community College took top honors in fine arts competitions throughout the Valley. The Maricopa County Community College District sponsors annual competitions in creative writing, dance/choreography, music, visual art and theatre for its students.
The first place winners in choreography/dance, music composition, music instrumental, music vocal and theater acting will perform on stage at the tenth annual Artists of Promise on Wednesday, April 9 at the Orpheum Theatre. An art exhibition at the event features this year’s winning artwork. The event is free and open to the public with a reception beginning at 6 p.m. and performances beginning at 7 p.m.
The competitions in visual art and creative writing are also sponsored nationally by the League for Innovation in the Community College, and winners of the Maricopa competitions are automatically entered into these national events.
This year’s winners include (Those in bold will be performing at the event):
- Jacqueline Alcocer, Music – Vocal – Theatre – Solo – Female, First place (tie)
- Shelby Biggs, Music – Vocal Classical – Solo – Female, Honorable mention
- Brittany Brown, Theatre – Performance/Acting – Female, Third place
- Zac Bushman, Music –Vocal Classical – Solo – Male, Third place
- Brenda Kleppe, Visual Art – 2D, Honorable mention
- Heeyoung Lee, Choreography – Solo , Honorable mention
- Samuel Loose, Music – Vocal Classical – Solo – Male, First place
- Hailey McCourt and Courtney Miles, Choreography – Group, First place
- Jaden Medlock, Music – Composition, Third place
- Katerina Noori, Theater – Design (Overall), Third place
- Mathew Speakman, Music –Vocal Classical – Solo – Male, Second place
- Devin Sugiharto, Music – Instrumental – Guitar, First place
- Sandra Whyman, Visual Art – 3D, League of Innovation, Winner and League entry
- Joyce Yi, Music – Vocal Classical – Solo – Female, First place