Friday, November 21, 2014

Vocal major places first in state and regional competitions

Vocal student major Sam Loose took first place in two recent competitions. The Valley of the Sun National Association of Teachers of Singing Musical Theater Auditions was held Nov. 7-8. Loose took first place in Divisions 21-23. He also won the Arizona’s Rockin’ with Talent competition on Oct. 25, walking away as the adult talent division winner as well as the overall winner by singing “Stars” from Les Miserables.

“I was thoroughly surprised when they announced I was the overall winner,” said Loose, who received a cash award and an all-expense-paid trip to Branson, Miss. to open for The Duttons. “Although I appreciate the awards, especially the cash as a full-time student, I’m most pleased that people still enjoy live music and the art of stage performance.”

Loose has performed in many of Chandler-Gilbert Community College’s productions including "Seussical" (in which he was nominated for a Zoni award as the Cat in the Hat), "The Fantasticks," "A Christmas Carol" and others. He will graduate in May and plans to apply to Juilliard, New York University and other universities well-known for their musical arts programs.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.